Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Peacocks

Peacocks are pretty, sometimes. They can be really obnoxious, too. The sound of peacocks calling to each other at dusk can grate on the brain like nails on a chalkboard. It also reminds me of a period in my early childhood in Knoxville, Tennessee, where the neighbors kept peacocks for their display of uselessness. I later learned its called "conspicuous consumption", meaning "Look! I can afford to keep useless pets/lawn ornaments!" Peacocks as yardbirds evokes the Old South the same way magnolia trees and sweet ice tea do. All we need is a little Spanish moss and I’ll start to sweat, uh, I mean “glow” here.

THE OLD AND THE YOUNG

An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall. A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair in all different colors:green, red, orange, blue, and yellow.

The old man just stared.

Every time the young man looked, the old man was staring.

The young man finally said sarcastically, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

Without batting an eye, the old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a peacock. I was just wondering if you were my son."







Albino peacock photos and discussion.

Some humor along with some nice peacock feather graphics.

Sheer poetry: A Peacock Tale.

Information on peacocks as pets at the Peafowl Report.

















EASTER EGGS (lifted from Hoss)

After the egg hunt on Easter Sunday, the young farm boy decided to play a prank. He went to the chicken coop and replaced every single egg with a brightly colored one. A few minutes later the rooster walked in saw all the colored eggs, then stormed outside and killed the peacock.

PEACOCK FLIRTING WITH THE CAT




Thought for today: Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.




7 comments:

goldenlucyd said...

Miss Cellania, Dear,
Tsk, tsk. I took you at your word on Friday the 28th when you said you'd be back on Tuesday. That wasn't a nice trick to play on an old lady. It took me forever to catch up. I wanted to make sure you read how much I am enlightened and entertained by your profound and prolific posting. I hope I won't be late again. Ah'm simply worn out!
lucyd

Karen said...

Gotta love chaos, panic, and disorder LOL

Peacocks are beautiful birds, the photos are incredible. The video is a hoot! The song is perfect. ROFL

Have a great day!

momsmusings said...

Hi there,

Here from Wendy's. I love peacocks and the video was great! I enjoyed visiting you!

Marti said...

Loved the peacock joke! Great info and pictures too - thanks for sharing!

Miss Cellania said...

Golden Lucy, I'm glad you are here! But I said I would post Tuesday IF I couldn't post over the weeked. Well, I could, a little, when I wasn't busy. I really didn't mean to wear you out!

Karen, Ruth, and Marti, thanks, y'all are so sweet!

Saur♥Kraut said...

Love the peacock post! We used to get them where I worked, and it was hysterical. They're actually good at running wild here in Florida and there were gentlemen farmers who imported them for looks. They bred like rabbits and run wild in many places now.

Anonymous said...

Here in Manitoba the only Peacock sightings are at the zoo. We are always thrilled to find one with its tail in full display. Such beautiful colours. I can't imagine one in our front yard.. but it does sound kind of neat. :-)