Sunday, November 21, 2021

5 Tips for a Better Thanksgiving Through Chemistry



Do chemists make better cooks? Probably, but it also might take them all day to do it, because they're experimenting and explaining the process along the way. Anyway, the rest of us can be the better cooks for their efforts. The American Chemical Society brings us some timely tips for improving our Thanksgiving feast.

This video is an opportunity to share my mother's cranberry sauce recipe, in case I haven't already: feed fresh cranberries and quartered oranges (peel and all) through a food grinder, then add sugar to taste. That's all. No cooking, so the antioxidants are preserved pretty well. It's so flavorful that you can only take it in small quantities, which makes it a great palate cleanser. Now you're cooking with SCIENCE!

Note: I no longer not use my mother's recipe. Kroger sells cranberry sauce with pineapple and pecans in it, which I have developed a taste for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think a food processor could be substituted for the food grinder (that i don't have)?

Miss Cellania said...

I don't know, because I've never had a food processor. It would probably create a smoother sauce, but those oranges are pretty tough. I wouldn't want to tell you something that would wreck your appliance.

YetAnotherDave said...

My mom cooked the cranberry's until they "popped," and also added apples as well as oranges. Of course, the fruit should be seedless. A food processor works fine, but just pulse it until the mixture is coarse, not pureed. A cup of sugar will sweeten a bag of cranberry's, and a couple of apples and oranges. Delicious!