Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Miss Cellania's Links

9 Lines in the Sand. Some of the strange borders, meridians, and demarcations of our world.

Classic First Lines of Novels in Emojis: A Quiz.

Mental Floss Is Buoyed by Online Video.

The Medicare Miracle. Maybe we really can afford help care for all.

Beam Me Up: A Beginner’s Guide to the Star Trek Franchise. Because without a little help, the whole universe looks intimidating.

Eighty Years Of Fergusons. Race riots in America always have the same underlying reasons, so why can’t we change them?

23 Ways a Wall Street Job Will Make You Miserable. And still no one will ever feel sorry for you.

11 Fantastic Frankenstein Film Adaptations. If you start now, you might be able to find and watch them all by Halloween.

The Bizarre Day Jobs Of 20 Famous Authors. They subsidized their passion while gaining some odd life experiences.

7 Extreme Bugs and Creepy-Crawlies. As if you didn’t have enough anxieties and nightmare fuel.

3 comments:

Ken D said...

Mental Floss: I don't go there any more.
John Green is the primary reason. He is a pretentious douche who talks too fast. I have said as much to Jason English. I, along with several others, have several times requested a transcript of the talks to no avail. I have decided to "vote with my feet" and not go there any more.
I took a look a couple of weeks ago and was appalled by what the site had become. It's a worse click whore than Hujffpo.

Miss Cellania said...

I'm sorry. I don't have any power to change that, and I doubt Jason does, either, since mental_floss is now owned by The Week. They still pay me pretty well for a part-time job.

Ken D said...

Do not belittle yourself. You are an intelligent, witty, hard-working lady with a LARGE loyal following. I am sure they recognise and appreciate that.
BTW I bleeped to Jason at the very first John Grenn video, using the d-word and asking for a transcript. I did the same for the second and third. Then *I gave it a rest. After a while I gave it another try to no avail. I left for quite a while shortly after the new layout (partially) showed up. I went back to take a look a short time ago and the click whoring had run rampant. Never again.
If you run across Arika Okrent tell her I miss her, she is a shining star.