Sunday, April 02, 2023

Homemade Star Wars Speeder Bike



Adam Woodworth built this little Star Wars Imperial speeder bike, complete with a stormtrooper, camera, and quadcopter maneuverability!
I got into FPV (First Person Video) multi-rotor racing a few months ago. The fast, low level flying instantly reminded me of the Endor chase scene from Return of the Jedi. This project was an obvious choice to combine my interest and experience in RC (remote control) flight with my love of Star Wars stuff. I like always having some strange project on the work bench and this one was next in line, an attempt to build a version of the Imperial Speeder Bikes from the movie that I could “get into” and fly around myself.
Woodworth used a 1999 Hasbro speeder bike and designed a quadcopter that would lift it without looking too obviously like a helicopter. A stormtrooper action figure was too heavy, so he made a more lightweight body and used the action figure’s armor and helmet only. The helmet can be quickly replaced by a camera when you want to record from the vehicle itself. Read about the project at Make. (via Geeks Are Sexy)

No comments: