Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Giving Up the Phone for a Week



It’s strange how one’s relationship with their phone varies according to age. These Millennials gave up their phones for a week to make a video about the experience, and their lives completely changed. They had spent their formative years becoming dependent on their devices for keeping in touch with others, finding their way around, doing business, and internet use. A person who is somewhat older might think of turning to a computer for many of those things. I still use signs, maps, and spoken directions to find my way around (plus an awesome sense of direction honed by many years of experience). I also have a calendar for appointments. My mother had a cell phone, but no one knew the number, because she only turned it on when she was on the road and needs assistance.

But the difference goes even deeper. Using a phone for all those things is not bad in itself, but these folks noticed a difference in their concentration, attention span, and engagement with the real world when they adjusted to living without constantly “checking in” for messages as they’d become used to. How would doing without your mobile device affect your life? (via Buzzfeed)


6 comments:

BSB said...

I am truly looking toward retirement and setting the phone down that last time. But it will probably have to wait until my friends retire, too. About 2100 days to go for me.

Anonymous said...

I save about a thousand bucks a year by not having to pay for service.

xoxoxoBruce said...

I can't hear on it but I carry it when traveling because people are much more willing to call AAA for me on my phone than on their own.

Miss Cellania said...

Since I first posted this video eight years ago, I got myself a smart phone. The GPS service is great for finding a place I've never been before, but I don't need it for any trip after the first time. My youngest uses it every day to get anywhere. I also enjoy carrying pictures of my grandson to church. But otherwise, I just use it as a phone. A year later, I still haven't set it up to access an internet browser. Oh yeah, and I can answer a text now.

Anonymous said...

??? I pay $15 a month ($180/year). 2 Gs a month and unlimited calling and texts.

chich said...

I retired a few years back and have a phone but often do not know where it is when I'm home. I will say it is good for scheduling appointments etc and, as my wife has health issues, it does make it easier for me to be able to leave her at home sometimes but know she can reach me or I her at any time.

I worked in the north when phones were just getting popular. We had a fire and some extra staff were flown up to help out. First thing off the plane they pulled their phones out and tried to find a signal. I told them to just pack them away as the nearest cell tower was about 500km. There was a definite split between looks of panic from some and relief from others.